Get Educated

Make a Donation

How do you file a restraining order?

Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., except on a holiday, you can go to the Domestic Violence Unit of the Family Division of Superior Court and apply for the order. Court employees will help you file the papers on forms they will provide.

If it is after the end of the court day, a holiday or a weekend, you can go to your local police department to obtain an order. They have the forms and can call a judge or get an order that starts immediately. You may be asked to speak to the judge by telephone, unless the judge chooses to come to the court to hear your testimony directly.

If English is not a language you usually speak, you may want to bring a friend with you to interpret. An interpreter may be provided for you any time you are scheduled to appear in court, but might not be available at the police station. You should call Family Court to request an interpreter for your court hearing.

Mercer County Emergency Services Phone Numbers

Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault 24 Hour Hotline (609)394-9000

New Jersey Statewide Domestic Violence 24 Hour Hotline

(800) 572-SAFE (7233)

Womanspace is friendly to the deaf community. Deaf and hard of hearing individuals please text us 24/7 at (609)619-1888

Quick Links:

Sign Up ForOur Newsletter